Well, it appears I have neglected this site for a couple of months now. It was a crazy busy summer.
We hosted our annual Canada Day party again which was a huge success. We set off lots of fireworks and released several Chinese lanterns into the sky, much to the delight of everyone. We celebrated Dan's 14th Birthday, attended the U2 Concert in Moncton along with 90,000 other fans, celebrated Cheryl's birthday with a nice dinner at the Pearl Cafe in Rustico, Dan & Vicki each went to Camp Seggie for a week, Andrew went parasaling, paid off his first semester of UPEI in cash, and succeeded in obtaining a $1000 UPEI entrance bursary. We managed to get to the beach at least a dozen times, as well as getting to Magic Mountain with the kids, as well as Ripley's Believe it or Not museum. We also spent the last week of the summer with Mark & Cathy & family at Caribou Island enjoying one of the nicest weeks of what was a pretty cold and wet summer. The icing on the cake for the summer came when Dan found out that he received 2nd place in the Island Literary Contest for youth. We got the call the night before school started which is a great way to start the school year.
But, September is here again and with it comes routine and organization again. Vicki started Junior high this year, Dan is now in grade 9 and Andrew just finished Frosh week at UPEI. Just thinking about Frosh Week brings back a flood of memories for me. I remember it as if it was yesterday, when, in fact, it was exactly 20 years ago. Meeting new friends, having new experiences, the independence and the sheer sense of freedom associated with university was overwhelming. I totally re-invented myself at university, not being constrained by pre-conceived ideas coming from a small town where "everybody knows everybody".
I wish and hope that Andrew has this same type of experience, albeit in his own style. I think that living at home for this first year will save him lots of money, but deep down I fear that he will miss out on some of the "non-academic" social activities. Although, to be fair, he was very active during Frosh week. I always said of my university experience that I learned more outside of class than inside.
I am finding it difficult to let go of Andrew while he still lives at home. There is something to be said for the "clean break" when a child leaves home for university. It's tough, but it is a transition time. I remember all the stupid things that I did during that time and thank god that my parents were not there to see it. I am sure Andrew will make his mistakes, but it is difficult to watch quietly from the sidelines without commenting. I want only the best for him, but understand that he needs to make his own decisions and "find himself". I just hope that he gets through without too many scars and bruises.
~ My journey of self-discovery, compass to guide me home when I need it, a reminder of the love and support that surrounds me, and hopefully a guide to understanding me to those closest around me ~
Friday, September 9, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Retirement - Onward and Upward!
I have been waiting to write this post for a few months now. It started in September 2025 when I realized that I was burned out from work...
-
Nobody would have bet on us in 1994. Hell, we probably would not have bet on us. Such is life. The older I get, the more special I realiz...
-
Here are some random thoughts I have collected over the past couple of weeks: In the end, for me it not about following all of the rules, bu...
-
Well, it has been almost a month since I posted, so I figured I should post an update. After taking two months off on stress leave on the ad...
Well summarized. I could not keep the summer to the size of a post like this.
ReplyDeleteI agree I am finding at odd times memories of that first year at UPEI coming back to me. I too find it hard to step back and let him be.
He was really patient with me when we went shopping. Neither of us really were up to shopping but it needed to be done. Thus, it took more time than it needed to. The last store was Old Navy where I had asked him to try on some more stylish, and more expensive jeans. One pair looked good on him. He was all set to buy the $12 jeans, instead of the $40, but the expensive ones looked better. I was tired and not very diplomatic about telling him to get the more expensive ones. I look back on it now and realize the self control it must have taken for him to sigh and say "O.K. but I have to get home to get some things done."
He is getting so much more mature. He'll always be my little boy but now I have to realize, no matter what I see or want for him, ultimately it is his life, his choice.