- As I watch debt consultants on TV discuss financial planning and increasing interest rates, I remember being comforted by this in my youth thinking that at least everyone was in the same boat as me in debt and being backed into a corner. Now that I am older, I remain comforted by these advertisements as I know that now I will no longer need to worry about these issues and it reminds me of the work we have done to get this far. Not just the work itself, but the volume of work. 30 years worth of doing anything gets you better at it than someone who has only been doing it a short time. It is comforting to remember that Cheryl and I not only have chemistry, relative financial independence, we have 30 years of experience together. The cumulative and in-depth experience we have shared together occurs rarely in today's modern fast-paced world. Put another way - 30 years of doing anything gets you good at it. Multiply that by working collaboratively with a partner that you trust implicitly and the possibilities are endless.
- Some of the biggest realizations and a-ha moments of my life started out with an immediate, total, and resounding denial of the reality of the situation. While it takes me a long time to work through the process. Sometimes years or a lifetime, It is always a surprise when I end up flipping an internal switch that I believed would always be on to off. Turning a No to a Yes. Moving from a viewpoint that seemed immovable and yet finding a way to navigate through to the other side. I have spoken of this before here, but this concept fascinates me. I would like to become more aware of these moments so that I can play into them and understand them better. What is the rationale for an immediate and assertive/aggressive reaction. That should be a trigger warning for me. Why am I so definite? This is probably an indication of something more than it appears.
- Simplistically, I define myself as a rule-bender. I try not to break them, but sometimes they make no sense, sometimes there is a better option, sometimes rules were made to be broken. I always like the line from Great Big Sea, Consequence Free that says "a little bit of anarchy, but not the hurtin' kind". I often feel that way about myself. More recently, I read an Alan Watts description of "the element of irreducible rascality which is part of us and a part of the universe." I really like how he describes seeing a glint of this in people's eyes when he sees them on the street. I call them "my people". I see them out and about on trips, in the stores, on the beach, in traffic. They are everywhere. People with a little glint in their eye. A wink and a nod to the world around them and our place in it. My people.
- In essence, for a long time, while I considered myself a rule-bender, I now see myself as humanity-enabler. Not only more accurate, this label has more positive connotations.
~ My journey of self-discovery, compass to guide me home when I need it, a reminder of the love and support that surrounds me, and hopefully a guide to understanding me to those closest around me ~
Sunday, August 20, 2023
Humanity Enabler & Irreducible Rascality
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Retirement - Onward and Upward!
I have been waiting to write this post for a few months now. It started in September 2025 when I realized that I was burned out from work...
-
Nobody would have bet on us in 1994. Hell, we probably would not have bet on us. Such is life. The older I get, the more special I realiz...
-
Here are some random thoughts I have collected over the past couple of weeks: In the end, for me it not about following all of the rules, bu...
-
Well, it has been almost a month since I posted, so I figured I should post an update. After taking two months off on stress leave on the ad...
No comments:
Post a Comment