Friday, December 15, 2023

Jung Tim

I have been writing a lot lately.  Not just here, but everywhere.  Notes, scrapes of paper, songs, poems, essays, short stories, thoughts, blurbs, ideas for novels, philosophical ideas, sociological and psychological ideas.  I have been re-discovering Carl Jung who I remember connecting with so vividly in University.  I remember taking the psychology of growth with Vicki Johnston and just loving the class.  It seemed effortless and intuitive and I was able to see several steps ahead of the process.  I aced the class and used much of that as my basis of knowledge over the past 30 years.  It has held up surprisingly well as something to hold my hat on as I moved away from religious and political rhetoric and focus on my own reality and knowledge quest.  It is great to re-connect with Jung's ideas as they seemed to flow nicely through to Allan Watts ideas on acceptance.  

Here are a few random thoughts percolating at this moment:

  • If you're happy and you don't know it there's something wrong.  Why don't you know it?  What can't you see?  What are you hoping for beyond the present?
  • There's nothing more reprehensible than the ambition to become a saint.  If you have to look for it, you're doing it wrong.
  • As I start to slow down and accept me for who I am, it is comforting to see others around me at this stage of life starting to figure it out.  As usual, Cheryl and I are ahead of the curve. 
  • We must be willing to throw away the life we've planned to make room for the life we get.  We don't want to do this, but our desires have nothing to do with the reality of the situation.
  • Real deep humor is laughing TO oneself ABOUT oneself.
  • Great Seth Myers story about his mom who was a big drinker and used to carry around little drink umbrellas with her to randomly put in people's drinks she found to be too wussy.
  • We need a hard road not a smooth one to prepare us for life. Like how going to the gym prepares you to do hard work.  Traveling down a hard Road gives you the strength and resilience when you need it which is inevitable in the world in which we live.
  • It is good to remember that patterns and cycles are important but sometimes patterns looking backwards do not always carry forward in the same direction or the same frequency
  • Acknowledging the artificiality of a moment helps us to see the real moments.  This is why I don't like playing into the fakery of insincere moments as it cheapens the real moments when they occur.
  • Theatre teaches us not to be afraid of people. There is an intensity and fleeting element to theatre relationships
  • We are often told to use our main skills on our path through life, but there is so much to each of us that we often never used the plethora of tools in our skill arsenal.  If you are a painter you paint, an actor acts, a singer sings.  But what about everything else within that person?  Does that all sit there stagnant and unused?  This is where I see the potential of AI.  Maybe by tapping into all of these unused skills and making them accessible to all, we might be able to add our own flavours to the mix and level our entire species up a notch.  That sounds big and crazy, but that is how change happens.  Through crazy ideas.  
  • Years of watching stand up and sketch comedy have made me cynical and hilarious and dark.  Which makes the hosts of the strike force five podcast (Stephen Colbert, Seth Myers, John Oliver, Jimmy Kimmel, Jimmy Fallon) all kind of like versions of me. I can relate to all of them in some way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Retirement - Onward and Upward!

  I have been waiting to write this post for a few months now.  It started in September 2025 when I realized that I was burned out from work...