Monday, October 16, 2023

Dissertation on Dissipation

Sometimes I just need to write.  Write.  Write.  Write like it is the only thing I know how to do.  As if it is the only means that I have to communicate.  Without my words I have nothing.  Sometimes it doesn’t matter how they come out.  From a full-blown comprehensive analytical essay, to a particularly clever word choice which has limited resonance outside of my own narrow thought patterns.

Either way, the writing is essential.  It is like an off-gassing.  A pressure-release.  That moment when you remove the cover from a pot of boiling water and the steam is allowed to escape giving the water permission to boil freely.

As I write, I can feel the pressure releasing from my body starting in my lungs and chest and into my stomach slowly allowing me to breathe deeper into my core and allowing the oxygen to sink deeper into my soul.  I start to notice how tight my jawline is and the slight feeling of pressure in my head starts to dissipate just a bit.  I can focus on my surroundings again.  The sun singing my skin, the thrum of crickets the pleasant shade of rust-color on the leaves of maple tree as it perches precariously.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Retirement - Onward and Upward!

  I have been waiting to write this post for a few months now.  It started in September 2025 when I realized that I was burned out from work...