Wednesday, April 12, 2023

I hope you don't think we're normal :)

I should have known we were unique back in 1994 when I took a philosophy course on ethics.  The discussion focused on the division of household chores and the roles and responsibilities of raising a child.  I explained that in my house we did everything together and shared everything, if not equally, then whoever had the capacity to give more would do so with the understanding that it would be reciprocated as needed.  The professor all but snickered as he said to me aloud in front of the class, "Well, I hope you don't think you're normal".  I shrugged it off as the ideas of an antiquated academic, but, in truth, we were not normal.  

This has proven itself time and time again over the past 29 years.  Our unique set of relationship skills has been developed at a young age and stems from a place of love, purity and openness.  A lot of traits that are sorely lacking in today's colder harsher isolating world.  

By starting together, and building together and fighting together towards the common goal of a shared life together that supersedes us both, we are tighter and closer now than I could have ever imagined 29 years ago. Through highs I couldn't have imagined to gut-wrenching soul-emptying lows, we are still here.  I could use so many metaphors to describe our strength.  But I won't.  I don't have to.  We are enough.

So, yeah.... I guess we are not normal, we are fucking fantastic! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Retirement - Onward and Upward!

  I have been waiting to write this post for a few months now.  It started in September 2025 when I realized that I was burned out from work...